Monday, October 08, 2007

bugrit

It's 2 in the freakin' a.m., and I'm persona non grata with the power that be at our shul. Harrumph. Apparently, my inability to show up to meetings scheduled while I'm out of the country does not sit well. Or maybe it's my inability to adopt the ruling power's opinion. Whoopsie.

But what the hey, it's 2 in the morning and my article is finally back under 4000 words and I like it for the first time in well over a month. Oh, yes, and we're off to hang with a certain Mr Paul Newman this weekend (okay, okay, we're just going to camp). Still pretty damned cool.

So bah, humbug! I'm happily trotting off to bed, nasty rewrite and dreadful committee overlords be hanged.
**************

Gamma's Tarragon Tuna

serves 10

dressing:

  • fresh tarragon: strip leaves off 3-4 stalks. Should make about 2-3 Tb.
  • 4 oz olive oil
  • .5 tsp wasabi powder, or to taste
  • 2 oz red wine vinegar
  • 1 oz lemon juice (1-2 Tb, notes the Gamma)

salad:

  • 1 c rice, uncooked. Cook it as per your instructions of choice.
    3 cans tuna (Bumblebee Prime Fillet is soy-free, notes the Gampa)
  • 1 punnet (container) grape tomatoes, or other small tomatoes. Gamma says that she prefers grape to cherry tomatoes, because they tend to be a little sweeter than cherry toms. You decide.
  • .75 c pitted, halved Kalamata olives
  • .5-.75 c dried currants
  • 2-3 Tb drained capers

Cook rice. Whisk dressing together, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Add everything else, toss and serve.

Options: add 6 oz marinated artichoke hearts (hard to find without the vague 'spices.'), replace tuna with chicken, replace rice with orzo or other teensy pasta (wheat!!), replace wasabi with mustard, do all of the above and note distinct resemblance to the original recipe, here.

Note: I apologize for the formatting. Blogger has decided to double-space everything without asking me first. Sigh. Somehow this makes me think of the Toddles...

*****************

Want some dessert to go with that? We've been playing with this Enjoy Life cookie crust:

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/enjoying_life/recipes_ind.php?id=21
I'd advise a fairly dry pie filling - apple pie seems to work well.
Best with a dryish or fairly solid pie. EL suggests pumpkin or pecan - my gooey apple pie was too gooey for it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My sister ran the New York Marathon last year for the Hole in the Wall Gang camp, and both she and her husband are doing it again this year. It sounds like a really neat place. I hadn't known about their family weekends.

My brother went to a summer camp for kids with cystic fibrosis when he was growing up. He enjoyed it a lot, but of course every year there would be faces missing.

(OK, and can I just note how funny the captcha is for posting comments? They have an audio option for blind people, but the little symbol for it is a person in a wheelchair. Does the wheelchair symbol now stand for any kind of disability and not just mobility impairments?)

ZM said...

Yup - the wheelchair is now standard for 'something funky this way comes,' whether on wheels or not.

Insofar as I understand it, Hole in the Wall has three kinds of sessions: for kids (with diagnosis), for siblings (to kid with diagnosis), and for families (of kid with thing). The kids get the summertime, the families get autumn.

It's a nice approach. And they are a fabulous bunch! I can only begin to imagine the kinds of culinary pretzels that are going on in the HitWG kitchen right now. Imagine a whole camp, eating Imperfect style...yowza.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, must try that tuna recipe. Sounds yummy. (Why do I always read your blog before I've had lunch?)

Have fun at camp!

therapydoc said...

mmmm, but where do you get the wasabi powder?

ZM said...

I get mine at Whole Foods - or I did get it there once (Eden makes a hechshered variety, by the way), and it's lasted me for ages.

Phhoey on those who talk about fresh wasabi powder, I'm a weak-tongued gaijin, and I like mine wimpy.