Wednesday, June 01, 2011

okay, so your cell phone can pop corn. Anything else?

But not so much tumors, says Tara Parker-Pope. Well, maybe gliomas - but they're rare. Um.

Still, your cellphone can make you pop a rash, thanks to the nickel content. (Click here for the article in CMAJ)

Indeed, says my jawline. We knew that.

Roughly 1 in 5 women are allergic to nickel, and a mere 3% men. The allergy has some deeply challenging and distressing effects, such as limiting the use of jewelry to the seriously expensive, low-nickel content stuff. Unless, of course, you have a loving and thoughtful spouse, who is willing to bring you joy and give love - to the budget - by hunting around for nickel-free, gold-free options.

I joke, of course, but you should have heard me swearing at my cell last summer. And itching.

For more on nickel-free cell phones (or mostly nickel-free), try this. And if you are wondering whether you are allergic, talk to your doc. Who might just do what mine did, oh, lo these decades ago, and tape an old nickel to your arm.

1 comment:

dykewife said...

i'm one of the 1 in 5. that's why i used surgical steel wire and earring findings. my ears have nickel free metal rings in them and my nose ring is gold. it sucks to not be able to wear any old thing for jewelry, especially for rings because i love sterling silver. sterling silver isn't nickel free.